Back in January, we were traveling through Taiwan. I started writing about our trip and managed to get two posts out—one about Taipei, the capital, and another about Wulai (烏來), a mountain town about an hour south of Taipei.
So, picking up where I left off, we continued our road trip south toward Kaohsiung. From Wulai, it was about a 2½-hour drive to Taichung, on the western side of central Taiwan.
Our foodie cousins were traveling with us, and they knew exactly where we needed to stop for lunch: Chun Shui Tang (春水堂), the famous restaurant credited with being the birthplace of bubble tea. I love milk tea, but I’m certainly no bubble tea connoisseur. In fact, before writing this post, I was confused about the difference between bubble tea and boba tea. Turns out, they’re essentially the same thing! Both refer to tea, usually with milk and sweetener, served with chewy tapioca pearls—or “boba.” These days, boba tea is all the rage—you can find it in just about every city!
There was a bit of a wait, but we didn’t mind. The outdoor seating had such a lovely, relaxed atmosphere that waiting actually felt like part of the experience.
.jpg)
![]() |
| Famous bubble tea —mmm, mmm good! 🧋 Definitely lives up to the hype! |
![]() |
| Noodle dishes |
![]() |
| Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs |
![]() |
| So glad we had locals to decipher the myriad choices on the menu |
.jpg)
![]() |
| Chinese New Year, year of the Horse (Feb 17) |
![]() |
| Our fun personal tour guides |
Next up was a beloved gift shop for some New Year shopping. From the outside, the building looks a little weathered and unassuming—but step inside and WOW! The interior is filled with antique furniture, charming displays, and an incredible assortment of unique goodies and gifts, all perfect for sharing with family and friends during the New Year.
I didn’t know it at the time, but I later learned this was Miyahara (宮原眼科), a historic Taichung landmark dating back to 1927, when it first opened as an ophthalmology clinic during the Japanese colonial period. The original brick walls have been beautifully preserved, adding to its timeless vintage charm.
I loved the beautiful gift-wrapping papers featuring horses to celebrate the Year of the Horse. What a lovely blend of tradition, artistry, and local charm!
![]() |
| Pretty packages celebrating the Year of the Horse. 🐎 |
Too bad we had just had a big lunch, so we didn’t get to try any desserts. After reading more about Miyahara, I discovered that their ice cream is apparently not to be missed. Now I understand the long line for ice cream. Oh well—another reason to come back next time!
Stay tuned for the next chapter of our road trip. I promise it won’t take me nearly as long to get to it this time! 😉
This post is shared on Skywatch Friday and Altered Book Lover.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpeg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)






Life is like that. You're better than me, I'm still doing my trip from Nov of 2025. I plan (liquid right now) to revisit Taipei (and hopefully other places in the Taiwan) too next year, fingers cross!
ReplyDeleteWorth a Thousand Words
There are lots of Boba tea places here in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I tried it once, maybe I need to try it again.
ReplyDeleteI love the buildings.
I love the theater architecture!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a fantastic trip. And traveling with foodie cousins meant lots of good eats too. Trying new foods is always part of the adventure of traveling, isn't it? I'm glad you shared this post, and happy T day too.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a wonderful trip. All the different places and foods to try. Have a nice day.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous post. Sad to see a caged bird, but it was beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of bubble tea, so that was new to me. I had to look it up. You really DID seem to order a lot of food. Thanks for sharing your bubble tea with us for T this Tuesday.
Be still my heart. I LOVE the rocking horse. My heart is still dancing.
Hello, I'm new to your blog. Thank you for taking me to Taichung. Sounds like a fun outing.
ReplyDeleteThe theatre building is amazing. I love modern architecture.
I've never had bubble tea but I like tapioca so I think I will like it. The food looks amazing.
The gift wrap paper is beautiful with the horse on it.
Please link again with Alteredbooklover so I can read the next installment of your trip.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca
Your bubble tea looked good. Our granddaughter talks about bubble tea, but I have never had it. Great photos, especially the one of your personal tour guides all pointing. Happy T Day!
ReplyDeleteSorry, above post is not anonymous, it is I, Foxy Stamping- Sharon
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have guides that know the area. I love bubble tea. Such a delicious treat. The gift shop looks like a wonderful place to roam around. The giftwrap is beautiful, too. Happy T Day
ReplyDelete