8/19/13

Sichuan Eggplant or Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce (鱼香茄子)

Updated: 9/8/23
If I remember correctly, Szechuan or Sichuan cuisine didn't appear in Chinese restaurants in the U.S. until the 80s. Before that, chop suey and Polynesian-style Chinese restaurants (remember Pu-pu platters and drinks called Zombie and Mai Tai?) were popular. Then came Joyce Chen, who single handedly changed the landscape of Chinese cuisine, elevating it to a more gourmet level. 

For those who don't know, Joyce Chen is the Julia Child of Chinese cooking. She owned several Chinese restaurants in Cambridge, taught Chinese cooking, and had a show on PBS. In fact, she shared the same set as Julia Child's The French Chef in the studio of WGBH, Boston's local public TV station. Joyce Chen introduced not only Americans but also Chinese to Northern Chinese (aka Mandarin) cuisine. My first experience eating Peking Duck and Moo Shu dishes served with pancakes was at Joyce Chen, a restaurant I also worked during my college years. I absolutely loved the dumplings (or Peking ravioli) and the hot and sour soup. Competitors took notice. Soon, other Asian cuisines appeared on the horizon. There were Hunan and Szechuan, followed by Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian, and in the last dozen years Malaysian and now, Korean.

If you've been to a Chinese buffet, chances are you've had Szechuan food. Most dishes are cooked in a brown sauce, packed with spices or hot chili peppers. Kung Pao chicken, Mapo Tofu and Sichuan eggplant (also called Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce) are some popular Szechuan dishes.

We love spicy food, and Sichuan eggplant is one of our favorite Chinese dishes. I've made it a couple of times this week with the eggplants I picked from the garden. Previously I used the pack of seasonings made by the iconic Chinese brand Lee Kum Kee (李錦記). Later, I found and tweaked an easy recipe with ingredients I normally have in my pantry. Here's the updated version. These days you can find most Asian ingredients in the local supermarkets (Walmart, Publix, Kroger, to name a few). Enjoy!
Japanese eggplants

Sichuan Eggplant or Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce (鱼香茄子)
[Print Recipe]
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 Japanese eggplants

8 oz ground pork (or pork tenderloin, cut into thin slices)
dash of sugar
½ tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
2 Tbsp water

3 cloves garlic, minced
1” piece of ginger, thinly sliced
2 green onions, cut into thirds

2 Tbsp chili bean paste 
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
¼ cup chicken broth

2 Tbsp Sesame oil
2 Tbsp Canola oil

Instructions
1. Cut the eggplants on an angle into 1½ " wedges. Place the eggplant pieces in a large bowl. Add cold water to cover and stir in ½ Tbsp salt. Weight the eggplant pieces with a plate to keep them submerged. Soak for 15 minutes, drain and pat dry with paper towels.

2. Marinate the pork with sugar, cornstarch, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, and 2 Tbsp water.

3. Prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, add chili bean sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Set aside.

4.  Heat your wok over medium-high heat. Dry fry the eggplant for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp sesame oil around the perimeter of the wok. Stir fry for 2 more minutes, then sprinkle 2 Tbsp water. After 5 minutes, sprinkle another 2 Tbsp water, and stir fry until the eggplant is soft. Set it aside.

5. To a hot clean wok or saucepan, add 2 Tbsp Canola oil. Add garlic, ginger and the white part of the green onions. When fragrant, about 2 minutes, stir in pork. Cook until the meat turns opaque, about 5 minutes. Add the bean sauce and chicken broth. Bring it to a boil. Stir in the eggplant, lower the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the eggplant is just tender, about 7 to 10 minutes. Uncover, and stir in the remaining green onions. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with white rice.

Cook's NoteSoaking the eggplant in salt water helps reduce bitterness, and also helps to reduce oil absorption.

This post is shared on Skywatch Friday and Image-in-ing.

8 comments:

  1. I love this dish ! So yummy ! I have tried this readymade sauce, it's not bad at all ! I didn't know you worked as a waitress in your college years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace,
      I finally got a WP account and commented on your blog.

      Yes, I've done it all in various restaurants, from cashier, hostess, waitress to bartending and catering. Never did cook, except when absolutely necessary.

      Delete
  2. 鱼香茄子 is one of my favorite dish to eat. Too bad I haven't make it for a long time because the rest of the family doesn't like it! :P But I certainly miss the flavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      Thanks for checking in.

      For the longest time, I couldn't get my husband to eat eggplants, but lately, he's been opening up, and now actually enjoying it! Try slowly easing your family in with the stuffed eggplant at dim sum restaurants. If they like Italian, eggplant parmigian is also good. And curry eggplant is also delicious.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. This is my regular order when I get Chinese food. I just love how the eggplant is cooked this way.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very delicious dish. I didn't like eggplant as a kid. I grew to like it as an adult when I started cooking for myself and others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the recipe! This looks tasty. And thanks for visiting this week at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/09/remembering-attack-on-our-nation.html

    ReplyDelete