9/29/23

Falling for the South: Sweet Home Alabama

The state of Tennessee borders eight states, Missouri and Arkansas to the west, Kentucky and Virginia to the north, North Carolina to the east, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia in the south. About one third of the Tennessee River runs through north Alabama; we stopped at several ports-of-call when we cruised up here from Mississippi over a dozen years ago. Chattanooga is situated in the southeast, so we visit Alabama and Georgia quite frequently.

The first day of fall found us visiting friends in Birmingham. We love the Birmingham Botanical Gardens and always find an excuse to visit. Hoping to beat the lingering summer heat, we opted for a morning stroll at the garden. It seemed rather busy with construction going on here and there. They must be getting ready for fall planting and activities.
The Japanese garden is our favorite, and that was where we wandered around for a couple of hours.
traditional Japanese garden gate
We love watching the turtles and the colorful Koi fish swim so gracefully in the tranquil garden pond. Too bad we had nothing to feed them.
Do you see them turtles sunning on the rocks?
Pretty anemone hybrida by the iconic bridge
Japanese granite welcome lantern
Bamboo boardwalk
The bamboo forest was awe inspiring. These towering giants grow fast and are invasive. We have friends who had a hard time removing them from their backyards.
towering bamboos
Summer blooms are over at the Dunn Formal Rose garden.
Linking with Skywatch Friday
Getting lost in the 67 acres of beauty at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens on a nice day is relaxing and oh so peaceful. When fall finally arrives, the Japanese maples will take on a stunning color. Until then, enjoy the tour!

This post is shared on Image-in-ing and Through My Lens.




18 comments:

  1. I love botannical gardens. I don't know the next time I'll be in Birmingham but if I am I'll have to make a stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do visit if you're in the area. I forgot to mention that the garden is FREE, and is open all year round.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a wonderful excursion. Remarkable feat, Tennessee bordering eight states!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful gardens. I like the towering bamboos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that song. It was long time ago 1974!
    The botanical gardens are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I haven't heard of Lynyrd Skynrd until I came to the South. I added the video of their song to this post.

      Delete
  5. How nice walking through the garden with you! Thank you Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birmingham has a lovely botanical garden and I love all your photos and info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful place for sure to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gardens are beautiful.
    Thanks for the delightful tour, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. You keep surprising us with all these beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is always a wonderful Zen feeling about wandering in a Japanese garden isn't there? It is something about the water and the fish, and of course the bamboo. I've enjoyed my visit to the Botantical gardens with you today, thank you for taking me along!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...Eileen, keep cruising along. Take care and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice grounds. I like how tall the bamboos are.

    You can check out my latest post at this link:
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/the-blessing-in-emergency.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fabulous post. I have been to Japan and always spent time at the gardens. This is as close as one can get. Such beauty. You are lucky to have this so close to you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These gardens are truly gorgeous. I love visiting gardens. This one is going on my list. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete