7/21/23

A walk down memory lane … in New York City, NY

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a flight attendant, so I can travel to see the world. I'll never forget the first time I flew on a plane. Or the time we cruised past the Statue of Liberty at sunset one October (after Sept 11, I might add.)
Cruising by the Statue of Liberty at sunset
I went to high school in Philadelphia. During those years, I visited New York City often, as I had family in Brooklyn. All the renowned sites - the Twin Towers, the Statue of Liberty. Times Square, Rockefeller Center - beckoned. At the time, I didn't dare to ride the subway to the city, so I requested my uncle to show me around. His famous response was "What's the rush? These places will always be around." Now we know that's not always true. 

Did you know that the original World Trade Center, a complex of seven buildings, was designed by Japanese-American Minoru Yamasaki? At the time, the Twin Towers were the tallest buildings in the world. An iconic symbol to Americans and foreigners, it was a must-stop attraction for most of our non-stateside friends and family. I'm glad to have taken them to see the Twin Towers over the years. 
Can you see the barely visible twin towers in the background?
America passing by the Twin Towers on July 4, 1976 (photo courtesy of Terry, crew on Tall Ship Phoenix)
Last August I met some friends in New York City. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn in downtown, a convenient location that is easily walkable to the 9/11 Memorial and the Oculus which houses the World Trade Center Transportation Hub and the Westfield Shops.
9/11 Memorial Reflecting Pool, where one of the towers once stood. 
One World Trade Center, formerly known as Freedom Tower
While writing this post, I learned this interesting tidbit: that One World Trade Center was built with symbolism as part of its design. The height is 1,776 feet, the year the Declaration of Independence was signed, and the base is 200 feet on each side, the same as the Twin Towers.
Oculus Beer Garden at the World Trade Center Plaza
Next stop was the Brooklyn Bridge, where we strolled for several hours, stopping to admire the panoramic views of Manhattan. It was a lovely sunny day with clear blue skies and a slight breeze.
Statue of Liberty in the distance
After breakfast the next day, we took the subway to Little Island, a lovely outdoor floating park garden that opened in 2021.
Jersey City and the Statue of Liberty (left, in the far distance)
We had a fabulous lunch at nearby Chelsea Market before taking the train back to Boston.
I did not take any videos, so I'll leave you with one I took of Central Park from my visit ten years ago. 
I never did become a flight attendant. But my love of travel never wane. I am fortunate my significant other shares my passion for traveling. Together, we've had some adventures exploring uncharted (literally) territories; those stories are scattered throughout this blog.

18 comments:

  1. Love you photos of NYC. I was born there, so thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time! So much to do and see in the city. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Your love for NYC shines through. I visited in 1965 when I was 10 years old and hope to return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My visit to New York city would not have happened without you. You drove us all the way there. Thank you so much for the memories and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that height of Freedom Tower is 1,776 when we won our Independence and that the base is 200 feet on each side the same as the Twin Towers. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your post. Perfect NYC trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a good memory, I really enjoy the whole trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful memories and photos! I lived in NYC most of my life but have been in Colorado for 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely images. It's been 40 years since I was in NYC. I'd like to go again!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/07/tommys-exercise-routine.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious memories. I hope to visit NYC someday.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful images of NYC and interesting information.
    I visited N.Y. many years ago (1999) and I liked a lot.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. humans need parks.... to see the world's natural beauty to balance all that we do to the earth. Great photos and words, really strong and compelling
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tour, and sharing your memories New York City. I remember when the Twin Towers were going up, and I still get overcome every time I see a movie, TV show or image that offers a glimpse of them… I grew up in Brooklyn, and even though I moved away from the area 45 years ago, I still miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This article was very well written and enhance with beautiful pictures. I loved it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done, Eileen! I loved it. Congrats! N.S.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I miss New York City,,,the Twin Towers,,,Statue of Liberty, Saks Fifth Ave and Central Park etc...I love to eat Chinese food in Flushing..

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful memories you have. You do have a great husband who shares your visions. Miss you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete