6/30/23

A day in the life of a liveaboard, part 9

A few days ago, I kayaked over to the riverbank to check out the wild blackberries. The bushes were cut back last year and only a few branches survived. While checking out the blackberries, I noticed a coot carrying a piece of stick in its mouth. There must be nest somewhere. 

I followed the coot to the dock closest to the parking lot. At the far end sits a lonely boat. There was a nest next to it. I glided over to take a peek.
Coot sitting on its nest
A coot was sitting on it. I left wondering how many eggs there were. Next day, a friend and I kayaked over to check it. The coot wasn't there. We saw six eggs. I was hooked. I went again the day after. This time, there were only five eggs! Uh oh, what happened? It takes 21 days to incubate, per Wikipedia. I'll wait patiently to see how many will hatch. 
These must be the parents
Going out to check the blackberries
A few bunches here and there.
Meantime, we'll have to deal with the crazy hot weather - sunny and HOT (mid 90s) - for the weekend and the Fourth of July holiday on Tuesday. So far today, we've had sunny skies, cloudy skies, thunderstorm, heavy rain, and now back to sunny, and it's only 3pm. 
around 7:30 am
Clouds, thunderstorm followed by heavy rain around noon
    Back to sunny around 1pm
I just saw the news which said that "Chattanooga is under a Code Red air quality alert due to wildfire smoke from Canada." No wonder the sky was so hazy yesterday. Here's that picture.
Hazy skyline yesterday from the Canada wildfire smoke
Happy 4th of July! Stay cool and stay safe, y'all! Check out this video of the coots.
This post is shared on Skywatch Friday.

You might also like:
A day in the life of a liveaboard, part 6 Happy Fourth of July Small is Beautiful






10 comments:

  1. That's some crazy weather! Sorry to hear about the air quality. Have a happy & safe 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great photos, hope you get a nice blackberry pie out of those blackberries and have a great independence day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. So sorry about the air quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the video of the coot's. Yes, keep your eye on them for 21 days. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping your air quality has improved by now. I dislike seeing that air and knowing a bit of what you are going through but enjoyed your Coot video. Hoping all five remaining eggs hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos, mvmaithai.
    Sorry to hear about the air quality. Hope it has improved by now.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a naturalist you are knowing that the there was a nest being built.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thanks for stopping at my blog and I'm sorry I'm just getting back to you. I just found your comment in my spam folder. :(
    Beautiful photos! I love the ones on the water. It'll beinteresting to watch that nest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely nature photography and weather is same in MA ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete