Monday, October 26, 2009

Happy Halloween!

In my last post, I mentioned that I am a volunteer and substitute ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) teacher at the Chattanooga State Technical Community College. Mrs Nelson, the teacher I work with, was so gracious as to host a party for all her ESOL students and their families at her home yesterday. Located in the farm country of NW Georgia, her property is situated right next to cow pastures. Seeing the cows grazing the land was quite a sight for us city folks. The driveway to her house was a bumpy gravel road, about a quarter mile long.

As someone who has lived in the U.S. well over thirty years, you would think I know most, if not all, of the customs in this country. Well, I don't and I learned something new yesterday. It is about "bobbing for apples." Apparently this is a traditional game played on Halloween. A large tub is filled with water and apples, and the players, one at time, try to get an apple with their mouth. This game does not look too hygenic, and with swine (H1N1) flu fast becoming an epidemic, I do not recommend this game. Anyhow, watch the video below to see what "bobbing for apples" is all about.


 
A big thank you to Mrs Nelson and all the students who brought some delicious food!


 
You might also like:
Happy Chinese New Year! A day in the life of a liveaboard Port of Call: Jacksonville, Florida

No comments:

Post a Comment