Falling for New England: Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park
Updated: 9/21/26
One late August we took a road trip from Boston to Maine. It was several years ago, but we remember the trip as if it were yesterday. We had stayed at the Harbor Ridge timeshare in Southwest Harbor. When we checked in, the front desk clerk asked if we wanted to order lobsters. Of course, we said yes!
And boy, were they delicious! They were some of the best lobsters we’ve ever had. At just $7 each—and all weighing more than a pound—the fresh-off-the-boat lobsters were an incredible steal.
DIY dinner - delicious lobsters with corn and blueberry pie
Bar Harbor is such a delightful little town. Not only does it have wonderful galleries and interesting, fun shops, but it also offers at least two easy and beautiful walking paths.
Starting at the town pier, the Shore Path is a one-mile walk along the waterfront, offering beautiful views of Bar Harbor’s rocky shoreline. Along the way, you’ll also catch glimpses of charming waterfront inns and stately residences.
It’s an easy, relaxing stroll and a wonderful way to take in the beauty and character of Bar Harbor.
The Shore Path (Bar Harbor Inn in the distance, Agamont Park on the right)
There aren’t many places where you can walk to an island at low tide, but Bar Island, just north of the town pier, is one of them. Walking across the sandbar was such a unique experience, and we even found shells and sea glass among the pebbles.
If you decide to make the walk, be sure to check the tide table before you go. The sandbar is only accessible for a few hours around low tide, and you definitely don’t want to get stranded on the island when the tide comes in!
Scenic view and interesting terrain on Bar Island
Don't say we didn't warn you
Hungry after all that walking? No worries - there are restaurants galore! We chose Geddy's (see review) and got a table overlooking Agamont Park. Our lobster dinner was the perfect ending to an awesome day.
Yummy lobster and clam chowdah
typical nautical décor in down East Maine
The next few days were spent hiking in Acadia National Park. One evening, on a whim, we decided to drive up Cadillac Mountain, which rises 1,530 feet above sea level. The winding road offered spectacular views, but halfway to the summit, we found ourselves surrounded by thick fog. We decided not to push our luck and cautiously made our way back down.
The next time, we came prepared. We got up before dawn, packed warm blankets, and headed to the summit to watch the sunrise. As the first place in the U.S. to see the morning sun, Cadillac Mountain is a popular sunrise destination. We arrived around 4:26 a.m., only to find the parking lot already almost full!
Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans. Clouds and haze obscured the sunrise that morning. So much for planning! Once most of the visitors left, we practically had the mountain to ourselves and enjoyed a peaceful, leisurely hike.
View of Bar Harbor and the islands on Frenchman Bay from Cadillac Mountain
Acadia is chock-full of hiking and biking trails, with plenty of places to stop and admire nature’s beauty. We especially love picturesque Jordan Pond. There are several trails, a gift shop, and a full-service restaurant where you can enjoy a delicious meal while soaking in the breathtaking scenery.
Jordan Pond
Get a rush of adrenaline at Thunder Hole, where waves crash into a narrow inlet, creating a thunderous roar against the rocky shore. It’s beautiful, a little scary, and incredibly exciting—all at the same time.
Thunder Hole
Entrance to Bass Harbor Head Light
Walk down a few flight of stairs
to see the sunset and rocky cliffs at Bass Harbor Head Light
We spent our last evening in Acadia National Park watching the sunset at Bass Harbor Head Light. By the time we arrived, visitors and photographers had already staked out the best spots for the perfect picture. Luckily, we were treated to a beautiful sunset—a fitting end to our Maine adventure.
Greetings. Thank you for visiting my blog. Referring to your question on my blog, regarding where to eat in Penang. To tell you the truth I am not very familiar with Penang. My Penang friend will take us around and I can only share the places which I have been and the good is good. These are all street food, sorry no fine dining. I will give you the links where I have posted about the food in Penang. 1) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/07/one-day-foodie-trip-to-penang.html 2) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2016/04/dinner-at-northam-beach-cafe-penang.html 3) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/07/deep-fried-goodies-assam-laksa-bye-bye.html 4) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/10/dim-sum-breakfast-at-restoran-zin-sum.html 5) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/10/dinner-at-spice-pisa-cafe-bayan-lepas.html 6) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/10/penangs-time-tunnel-at-wonder-food.html (nice place to visit) I hope the above helps and that you have a wonderful time visiting Penang and KL.
Great photos and roundup of what you saw and did at Bar Harbor. I visited there a long time ago when I was still single and loved it. The lobsters were inexpensive way back when also and I loved hiking and watching the sea.
Hello, I have been there years ago. It is a beautiful place to visit. The lobsters look yummy. Great trip and photos. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!
Wonderful photos of a truly beautiful place ~ my deceased husband and I used to go there with our boat ~ thanks for reminding me of treasured memories ~ ^_^
Happy Day to You, A ShutterBug Explores, aka (A Creative Harbor)
I agree you can't beat New England lobster, everywhere else in the world is just so-so! Love the way I'm showing up in your live feed as Live from Bangkok! Yep that's me! Wren x
Sadly the shore path had collapsed and we weren't able to walk around that this year since it was under repairs. They had 2 HUGE winter storms that caused so much damage to so many roads and attractions this year. But we just love Acadia and the surrounding area and I already have some ideas about our next trip.
Looks like a spectacular place to visit. Wonderful photos. I think the last one was my favorite. I enjoyed the video too!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting. If you like mountains and ocean, Acadia has the perfect combination. The bonus is charming Bar Harbor.
DeleteSo pretty!
ReplyDeleteGreetings. Thank you for visiting my blog. Referring to your question on my blog, regarding where to eat in Penang. To tell you the truth I am not very familiar with Penang. My Penang friend will take us around and I can only share the places which I have been and the good is good. These are all street food, sorry no fine dining. I will give you the links where I have posted about the food in Penang.
ReplyDelete1) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/07/one-day-foodie-trip-to-penang.html
2) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2016/04/dinner-at-northam-beach-cafe-penang.html
3) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/07/deep-fried-goodies-assam-laksa-bye-bye.html
4) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/10/dim-sum-breakfast-at-restoran-zin-sum.html
5) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/10/dinner-at-spice-pisa-cafe-bayan-lepas.html
6) https://chingchailah.blogspot.com/2018/10/penangs-time-tunnel-at-wonder-food.html (nice place to visit)
I hope the above helps and that you have a wonderful time visiting Penang and KL.
Thank you. I appreciate the tips.
DeleteGreat photos and roundup of what you saw and did at Bar Harbor. I visited there a long time ago when I was still single and loved it. The lobsters were inexpensive way back when also and I loved hiking and watching the sea.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading! My family still recalls having twin lobsters in Maine for $9.99 at a restaurant twenty years ago.
DeleteHello, I have been there years ago. It is a beautiful place to visit. The lobsters look yummy. Great trip and photos. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos of a truly beautiful place ~ my deceased husband and I used to go there with our boat ~ thanks for reminding me of treasured memories ~ ^_^
ReplyDeleteHappy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI agree you can't beat New England lobster, everywhere else in the world is just so-so! Love the way I'm showing up in your live feed as Live from Bangkok! Yep that's me!
ReplyDeleteWren x
Sadly the shore path had collapsed and we weren't able to walk around that this year since it was under repairs. They had 2 HUGE winter storms that caused so much damage to so many roads and attractions this year. But we just love Acadia and the surrounding area and I already have some ideas about our next trip.
ReplyDeleteOh no! That was such a pretty walk. Thanks for the update.
Delete